DOCOL R8 STATE-OF-THE-ART ULTRA-HIGH STRENGTH STEEL
After extensive research, consultation with testing engineers, and discussion with professional race car fabricators, Competition Motorsport is excited to be the first to transition fabrication of all our bolt-in roll bars and harness bars from using 4130 CrMo (chrome-moly) to Docol R8. Docol is a modern, engineered Dual Phase Advanced High-Strength Steel (AHSS), replacing 4130 as the state-of-the-art material for race car chassis and safety cage manufacturing. 4130 has been the default tubing material for race car chassis since its introduction during WWII. However, racing fabricators are switching to Docol. Engineered specifically for motorsports applications, it is an improvement over 4130 in every way:
- Docol is considerably stronger than 4130 CrMo. Tensile Strength of 116,000 psi vs 95,000 psi, Yield Strength of 100,000 psi vs. 75,000 psi.
- Docol's heat-affected zone (HAZ) is much smaller, meaning much less joint embrittlement from the heat of TIG welding.
- Docol has a higher resistance to fatigue.
- Docol is much more tolerant of heavy fabrication (such as tube bending and forming).
- Docol is far more dimensionally consistent, with tube diameter variance of 0.3% vs. 10.0% in 4130 and wall thickness variance less than 1/3 that of 4130.
What that translates to in a CMS roll bar is higher strength, better protection, and more longevity. Docol can absorb greater impact energy while maintaining its structural integrity, remaining intact better than 4130 CrMo. Docol is the new state-of-the-art material in race car fabrication.
Is Docol more expensive than 4130? Yes, but our prices will remain unchanged -- the lowest in the industry. That's because we believe in delivering a superior product, with more choices, at a lower price. That's why we design and manufacture every roll bar in-house. It's why we professionally powder coat them, in your choice of color, on-site for free. It's why we use advanced materials like Docol. And why we ship every bar to your door for free.
The result is superior quality, service, and value. You can pay more for a roll bar, but you can only get the best from CMS. Check out all CMS Roll Bars here.
Give us a call or drop us an email if you want more info and to discuss Docol R8 vs 4130 CrMo and what roll bar is right for you!